it is, however, delicious being green

To continue with my "green" theme I seem to have going...

As you all know, I'm sharing a CSA share with three other people. Conveniently, they are my roommate, my boyfriend and my neighbor which makes for fabulous ease when splitting it all up each week. But here's the challenge - what do you do when you have four people and 3 beets? 2 heads of broccoli? A head of cabbage? We decided this week we'd try something different and pool our resources and food and make a CSA feast together (or, as I like to term such occassions, a "group dinnie"). First, I'll list what we had so you can be impressed with how much we used later on:
  • 4 zucchini
  • 2 broccoli
  • 1 cabbage
  • 3 shallot onions
  • 2 bunches of unidentifiable greens
  • 3 beets
In my garden I also had:
  • Thyme
  • Rosemary
  • Oregano
  • Lots of other things that are irrelevant to this story but I'll post pictures of anyways
So what I made was:

  • Cabbage salad with crumbled bacon, toasted walnuts and bleu cheese dressing
  • Broccoli with melted sharp cheddar cheese and crispy shallot flakes
  • Baked zucchini with grated parmesan cheese and pepper
  • Roast beets
  • Whole chickens roasted with thyme, rosemary, oregono and lemon (and bacon greese from the previousy fried bacon to crisp the skin)
I mean look how many ingredients were either homegrown or locally grown! And it was all delicious, inexpensive and lots of fun. I'm thinking this should be a weekly event and we can just rotate who's week it is to do all the cooking and who brings the wine.

Here are some gratuitious photos of my garden right now - my tomatoes are really starting to come in, as are bell peppers and a banana pepper. My herbs, especially the basil, are just flourishing and I can barely keep up!



love k

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Do you do take-out? :)

Post a Comment