please spring, Spring!

Spring is being really slow on the uptake this year, what with two threats of snow since the official first day last week. Super lame, especially since I shiver dramatically at any temperatures below, ooh, 64 degrees. But luckily I'm the stoic type, and can cling to all the great things that are around the corner. Along with raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, here are a few of my favorite things (about Springs!):

1. The Farmers Market - Starting a whole month early this year, the JFX Farmer's Market kicks off this Sunday, April 3rd! It's probably still a tad early for much produce, but my mouth waters at the thought of the dairy and bakery and smoothies and coffee,and....oh, my, I can't wait! After recently reading a wonderfully written letter to the public by a small business owner about how every little effort to support local entrepreneurs makes a difference, I am filled with desire to do just that! Who wants to join me?

2. The Color Green - No, I don't mean money (though Spring is a lovely time for real estate....), I mean leaves! And grass! And vines and creepers! Even WEEDS make me happy after a whole winter of various shades of brown. I really have my work cut out for me this year with my garden and planters, which are currently in major disarray. But just thinking about how lovely my (itsy bitsy teeny weeny) back patio is when in full bloom makes me relish all the digging and planting I have in my future.

3. Patterson Park - Ooooh the park in the spring is just the best thing on earth! I consider myself outrageously lucky to be able to look out my window every morning and watch color creep back into the park's flora. Even before the trees and grass become lush and green, the park begins to fill with people. Old and young, rich and poor, it doesn't matter. Everyone can enjoy a lovely public park, and the first warm days of Spring are like a siren song. Complain all you like about how the warmer months make it harder to park because of the flocks of park-goers - I'll take a busy, well-used park over easy parking any day.
4. My Beach Cruiser - Most of the year I consider my 3 zillion pound beach cruiser to be one of the worst investments I've ever made. Most, but not all. In the Spring that bike is the best thing on earth.The basket is perfect for groceries, farmers market purchases, or...my dog.
And the bell! The bell calls out for friendship, I swear. Even though getting it in and out of the house is a feat of true physical
strength and determination, I have hopes of forming a posse of fel
low bikers to cruise the streets. [Public Service Announcement: Dear auto drivers, please please please understand how terrifying it is when you swish by me with a 7 inch clearance from my leather-bound handlebars. My heart is literally somewhere in my throat, choking me with terror.]

5. My Birthday! - As an Aries (April 12th, baby!) I live with hope eternal that I can have an outdoor birthday party. Pretty much every year I do, but I can't claim that it is exactly...pleasant. But I hold out! Even if it's slightly damp and reasonably chilly, I swear there's promise in the air of warmer weather soon to come. I like to think of raindrops as little drops of hope and life for all the flowers soon to come.

6. EcoFest - Totally cheating that I'm putting this on here since I've never actually been before, but I am going this year! And will be loads of fun! And N is playing music and a friend of mine is making/selling food! Come with me!

So you see, even though the weather is still bonafide horrible, there are just so many great things around the corner! Oh, and can I add one more? 7. I'm back to blogging.

love k.

3 comments:

Meaghan said...

Yay! Glad you're blogging again! I had no idea the farmer's market was opening a month early, WOOT! Awesome news! I started a bloggie too, I forgot to tell you last night.

kimiya rae aghevli said...

what's your blog? I want to see!!!

Meaghan said...

It's http://chooseyourjourney.wordpress.com Lamest blog name ever, creativity is not my strong suit. ;)

Post a Comment