pizza and pints by the park

So I know I said I was going to the concert last night, but I totally didn't. Instead I went to the soft opening of Johnny Rad's with Jess. This cute corner bar/restaurant is about a block West of the park, located in the same spot that the dive-ish bar Kelly's used to be. Whoah, what a change! Tiny windows have been replaced with large cafe-style ones that can be opened out with nice weather. A fresh coat of paint inside and out, along with a new bar and skateboard-inspired decor are all a welcome change, too.

Billing itself as a "Pizzeria Tavern," Johnny Rad's boasts a menu way beyond just pizza; with fun bar nibbles such as hush puppies, corn dogs, mac 'n cheese, and edamame on the menu, you'll surely find something perfect to go with your beverage. Not to say that the pizza isn't lovely and beautiful, with fresh mozzarella and fresh veggie (and vegan!) options galore:


Attempting to play it healthy (hey, I'm going ot the beach in a couple of weeks...girl's gotta try), I chose the "Silly Pink Bunny" salad which was phenomenal. The dressing was noteworthy in its deliciousness - the sharp horeseradish kick was a perfect compliment to my seared tuna - and would go with not only any salad, but also would work as a yummy, different dipper for their house-cut fries if you ask me... (I'll try that out post-beach)

While last night was their soft opening (we actually had their first menu ever printed!), the whole place was hopping by 7:30, with nary a free seat in the house! I loved that crowd was a true mix of old-school locals, visiting hipsters, and everyone in between. I'm pretty sure anyone could go in there and feel welcome.

On a nice evening, it would be a lovely walk across the park for a pint and a pizza pie, OR a fun dinner before heading across the street to the Patterson Bowling Lanes, so go check it out! Their grand opening is August 13th, but they seem to have hit the ground running already.

love k

return home

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Wonderful, truthful Review! I was there also around 7pm and the place was rockin'. The Pizza was fab and the Beer icy cold. I loved the Decor and being over 55, felt perfectly comfortable. It's a bit of a drive for us but I would say well worth the trip! Welcome to Baltimore Johnny Rad's!

Meghan said...

I <3 that you managed to fit the word "Nary" into your review. P.S. meghanlynnphotography would look awfully nice in your "what I'm reading..." column :)

Post a Comment