be local, buy local


Tonight I had the honor of participating in the Buy Local presentation at the South East Anchor Branch of the Enoch Pratt Library. With a last minute request to speak about the South Mountain Creamery Dairy delivery and One Straw Farm CSA sent my way, I couldn't have been happier to oblige! [Oh wait, you mean I haven't yet glowed and raved about the Dairy yet?! What is wrong with me?! Oh, right, my camera broke and I refused to buy a new one for 6 months. And, really, what is a blog without photos? I'll write you a nice long blog about it soon, I swear]

The seminar/event was put on by the library as part of their Garden Club series, but really was much broader than gardening. There was a smorgasbord of cheese! There were sugar plumbs galore! There were slivers of sausage and fresh mozzarella and bowls of salsa, and
Zeke's coffee! Oh, there was more than that, too! There were $5 tokens that can be used at any of the Highlandtown Farmers' Market vendors on Saturdays, and reusable totes.

But there wasn't just
stuff - there was sweet information! For example, a lovely list of "10 Reasons to Buy Local:"
  1. Keep money in the neighborhood
  2. Help out the environment
  3. Support community groups
  4. Embrace what makes us different
  5. Invest in the community
  6. Put your taxes to good use
  7. Get better service
  8. Buy what you want, not what someone wants you to buy
  9. Create more jobs
  10. Show the country we believe in Baltimore
I also got a directory of Farmers Markets and Pick Your Own farms in Maryland, and an overview of the 3/50 Project. In short, it was a real treat for the palate and the mind. There are talks of doing a follow up event with more farmers and local business people, so stay posted! If there is another Buy Local event, I highly recommend you attend - and hope you let me know if you hear of one coming up so I can share the information and go with you!



love k

0 comments:

Post a Comment